[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:59:03 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:11 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>> ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses
>
>> Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses
>>
>> 5.1 Returned Legacy Addresses
>>
>> Legacy addresses returned to ARIN will be placed in a hold period not
>> to exceed thirty days.
>>
>> Upon expiration of the hold period and in the absence of a Global
>> Policy or Globally Coordinated Policy directing otherwise, legacy
>> resources returned to ARIN will be made available for allocation to
>> ARIN members.
>
> Two obvious problems:
>
> 1. ARIN members aren't the only registrants.

Explain?

> 2. This probably conflicts with ARIN's existing process for hold times
> before reuse.

Probably. We'll see what they say during the staff review. Thirty days
at the point that we're down to utilizing legacy returns for
applicants I expect hold periods (like bogons, etc.)  for v4 will
likely be of little use. The hold period is not for an operational
purpose, it's for administration i.e. checking it in, documenting it,
whois updates, other administrative requirements, etc.

I'm not sure that it's clear and I'll wait for feedback, but the
intent here is that if a global policy (coordinated or otherwise) is
ratified _after_ legacy addresses are returned to ARIN _and_ after the
hold period expires, those addresses are not eligible to be returned
to the IANA even if one did get ratified a week later.

Best,

-M<