[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-128: Replacement of Section 4.2.4.4

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 11:24:09 EST 2011

----- Original Message ----

> From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at>
> > ARIN dawdling?  If  this proposal passes, it will slow processing of
>applications
> > by  encouraging a flood of them.  Makes the problem worse, not  better.
> The day the press announces that IANA is out there will be a  "flood" of
> applications anyway. We'll know for sure in just  days.

If the proposal passes, a flood of requests before IANA runout results in
faster IPv4 depletion, since everyone in the flood gets 12 months' need.

After IANA runout, the flood will be handled as normal, but with 3 months'
need satisfied.

For those whose goal is providing connectivity, accelerating runout is bad.
For those whose goal is deploying IPv6, regardless of connectivity,
runout is good.
Since I support a more stable Internet, I oppose accelerating depletion.

Lee