[arin-ppml] End non-public IPv4 assignments?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:23:18 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:15 AM, John Santos <JOHN at egh.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011, William Herrin wrote:
>
> Why should private networks that have to interoperate with other private
> networks have any less right to unique addresses than any other networks?

They don't have less a "right" to unique IPv4 addresses;  however no
network operator has a "right" to any IPv4 addresses to begin with,
and due to exhaustion, not everyone who has a use for unique addresses
will get them.

>From the internet community's perspective....    Why should we reserve
Internet addresses
for nodes that are not going to be reachable to us?

If not every network can get the addresses they need...  what should
ARIN  _not_  assign resources to first, even if they do ask first?

ARIN's mission is really not stewardship of  unique private address
spaces;  it's stewardship of the internet address space.

If an applicant has no intention of connecting those addresses to the
internet,  _ever_,
then given that there is impending exhaustion,   I would say these are
the requests that should be rejected first....   even if they ask
first.     even if they ask  while there is still one last /8  for
ARIN to allocate from.

--
-JH