[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 18:49:55 EST 2011

----- Original Message ----

> From: Jack Bates <jbates at brightok.net>

> 2)  Many eyeball networks also sideline  these days with content
> services as well. Will they utilize this massive block  of free IPv4
> they recover to push out the content only providers?

That honestly hadn't occurred to me, since the eyeball networks I
know aren't in that business.
I would assume that as IPv4 addresses become scarcer, ISPs would
save them for the applications where they are most needed.
Numbering servers would be included there, probably.

> 3)  ...eyeball  customers. They are likely to quit using home routers
> if it means gaining IPv6  connectivity to make their xbox/skype/wow
> patch work (or upgrade to an IPv6  capable device). This will v6
> enable them,

This would be great, if Xbox, Skype, etc. supported IPv6.  Since
they don't, how does an ISP respond when a customer calls and says,
"My PlayStation 3 doesn't work."?

There are some 20 million Xbox 360, and 14 million PS3 in
the ARIN region.  Those 34 million people can't play online
anymore?  (granted, those devices don't work through some kinds
of large-scale NAT either)
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28seventh_generation%29
 )

>From what I understand, none of the IP-enabled TVs in the past
few years are field upgradable.  I expect they'd be pretty NAT-
tolerant, but not IPv6-capable.

Lee