[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-127: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Thu Jan 20 19:17:57 EST 2011

On 1/20/11 7:00 PM, "David Farmer" <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

[ clip ]

> Why?  This close to run-out I find it very hard to justify allocating 4
> million virgin IPv4 addresses from a fresh IANA allocation to ARIN for
> this purpose.   However, recycling graciously returned IPv4 address for
> this purpose would be a little less distasteful in my opinion.
> Furthermore, ARIN has been and probably will be the only RIR that will
> see any sizable returned of Legacy address space; This fact provides a
> uniquely justified nexus for ARIN to consider this proposal instead of
> the other RIRs and even though the IETF failed to come to a consensus on
> the issue.

[ .. ]

> Therefore, I would like to see a recommendation to use 45.192.0.0/10 or
> another returned Legacy block added to the rationale of this proposal.

You've got it sort-of backwards. The IANA blocks are polluted and get worse
as they wind down. Being listed in bogons is not a guarantee of pristine
condition. 45/8 is probably better than anything that is left and equal to
whatever else is out there.

There is also global policy on deck that is attempting to deal with the
returned legacy address space issue, there's another effort underway now to
supplant and possibly reconcile that same global proposal and finally, there
is likely to be a regional policy directing ARIN as to how to handle legacy
address space in the absence of global policy.

I do think that whatever is selected should be encoded in the proposal, but
I think it's premature at this point.

Best,

-M<