[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-126: Compliance Requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jan 11 17:20:58 EST 2011

On Jan 11, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> This comes from policy 2007-14
> (https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2007_14.html) which was
> adopted by the Board on February 6th, 2009, and implemented April
> 1, 2009.  I suspect some of the confusion is due to the fact that
> this has been policy less than 8 months.
>
> 12.2 sets out when this review might happen.
>
> 12.2.a is for new requests, if folks are requesting more it is unlikely
>       they have a suplus of free space.
>
> 12.2.b is fraud/abuse in obtaining space, which is a different problem.
>
> Which leaves us with 12.2.c as the only case where ARIN might do a
> review that turned up under-utilized resources.  I'll note that the
> policy does not require these reviews it simply states that ARIN
> may do them.
>
> Has ARIN staff ever done a review undertaken on the basis of 12.2.c?
> Can we get a report on how many have been done, and the (aggregate)
> results?
>
> If ARIN isn't doing 12.2.c reviews this policy proposal is moot until
> reviews start to happen.  Did this change come from finding issues with
> the reviews?

We have utilized NRPM 12 on several occasions but the only time we
typically see unused or underutilized resources is during a request
for additional resources (12.2.a) or during a transfer, where we
may review per 12.2.c.

If an organization is requesting new resources and hasn't efficiently
utilized what they currently hold, we deny the request and tell them
to utilize what they have and come back when they have met the policy
requirements.  We have not reclaimed their unused or underutilized
resources.

If this comes up during a transfer, we use a 50% utilization threshold
and give them 6 months to one year to fully utilize their resources. We
then go back to verify utilization and if the resources are not at least
50% utilized, we will reclaim excess per policy.  To date, we have not
reclaimed any underutilized resources due to a transfer.  We are not
proactively seeking out underutilized resources for reclamation per
12.2.c other than as noted above.

All of the above excludes use of 12.2.b (fraud), where there are an
increasing number of reviews being done & number resources reclaimed.

Hope this helps,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO