[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-126: Compliance Requirement

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Jan 11 13:02:06 EST 2011

In a message written on Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 09:39:05AM -0800, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>    It seems there's some confusion about what is new in this proposal, and
>    what already exists in the NRPM.
>    For context, here is what existing policy already reads
>    ([1]https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#twelve):

This comes from policy 2007-14
(https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2007_14.html) which was
adopted by the Board on February 6th, 2009, and implemented April
1, 2009.  I suspect some of the confusion is due to the fact that
this has been policy less than 8 months.

12.2 sets out when this review might happen.

12.2.a is for new requests, if folks are requesting more it is unlikely
       they have a suplus of free space.

12.2.b is fraud/abuse in obtaining space, which is a different problem.

Which leaves us with 12.2.c as the only case where ARIN might do a
review that turned up under-utilized resources.  I'll note that the
policy does not require these reviews it simply states that ARIN
may do them.

Has ARIN staff ever done a review undertaken on the basis of 12.2.c?
Can we get a report on how many have been done, and the (aggregate)
results?

If ARIN isn't doing 12.2.c reviews this policy proposal is moot until
reviews start to happen.  Did this change come from finding issues with
the reviews?