[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-126: Compliance Requirement

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jan 11 15:01:46 EST 2011

On 1/11/11 12:57 CST, Jack Bates wrote:
> I dislike the changes, as they promote ARIN seeking to audit or take
> action more swiftly, as it's much easier to break rDNS than it is to
> revoke address space. If the matter is serious enough, they should just
> revoke the space; not deal with rDNS.

I too am seriously concerned about using rDNS as leverage to gain
compliance.  If keeping Whois up to date is a real issue, then revoke
the resources or apply a financial fine to the offender.  Turning off
rDNS is equally likely to create an operation impact for someone else as
it is for the offending party, therefore penalizing the wrong party.
Using rDNS as an enforcement mechanism is likely to have unintended
consequences.

As written I'm opposed to the policy as it is likely to create operation
impact on wrong party.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952