[arin-ppml] 125

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Jan 10 11:01:44 EST 2011

Umm, I have a couple of places where I assign a customer a /32 as a means of giving them a static IP address where their equipment didn't support other means.  All I need to do is aggregate the BGP advertisement and all is copacetic.
The controlling factor that is not ARIN policy, it is BGP standards policy.  ARIN makes no rules about what I can allocate where and I believe that is as it should be.
To my knowledge ARIN would have no problem at all if I wanted to SWIP an IPv4 /30 or even a /32 to another customer.
Don't confuse ARIN policy with standards of operation.

> So if the charge is that prop 125 forces an organization to do something,
> sure, that's right, but that's no different than ARIN's other policies.
> What seems to be bothering some people is that prop 125 will make it more
> difficult for some people to obtain IPv4 address space which will force
> looking at alternative solutions (greater efficiency of current space, or
> move toward IPv6).  Well, I can make the argument right now that ARIN's
> current policies result in changes in my operational behavior.

Again, I suspect you are blaming ARIN policy for controls that are actually found in RFC documents.  There is (to my current understanding) nothing in ARIN policies to prevent a customer from getting an ASN, and advertising a single IP address and nothing else from that ASN.

There is nothing to assure that the advertisement will be accepted by any BGP peer, in fact it will almost certainly be discarded by any other than a directly connected peer with special arrangements, but that is not because of ARIN policy.

Please feel free to educate me, I always appreciate being educated.

Kevin