[arin-ppml] IP "Experts" -- off topic comment

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 21:32:18 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
> I suspect that everyone who is active on this list stands to profit from IPv6 adoption in one form or another.  If everyone who had a vested business interest abstained from commenting it would be a very quiet list.

Anyone who is a member of the internet community / user of the
internet stands to profit from IPv6 adoption in one form or another,
so, basically, that criteria almost automatically applies to anyone
who has an e-mail account,  let alone PPML subscription.

I rely on the internet to continue to work properly, and to continue
to expand,  therefore, for that reason alone,  I have a vested
business interest in IPv6 adoption.

> I don't think that any of the "IPv6 experts" are worried about a lack of work opportunities in the next couple of years.  There is plenty of opportunity in the offing, I don't see a need for anyone to artificially create a demand.

I assume you are referring to IPv6 experts for hire.   Most of them
are also IPv4 experts, and don't need IPv6 to sell their services.
"Artificially"  encouraging IPv6 adoption is not about selling a
product or service,  but is instead about  attempting to achieve a
sustainable internet, before  resources run out,  and   helping to
mitigate instability that will result with the sudden impact of IPv4
exhaustion.
The more networks that have at least looked into IPv6, the better, in
that regard.

There are very good reasons for ARIN to promote IPv6 in every
reasonable way possible, and nudge people who require to interact with
ARIN every way possible towards building an IPv6 network,   without
actually forcing them to do it.

That's not a solution in search of a problem -- the problem is
basically the same IPv4 exhaustion problem that has been known for the
past 20 years,  and the same chicken-and-egg problem that has
prevented IPv6 from becoming widespread for the past  15 years.

--
-JH