[arin-ppml] Semi-serious proposal to start 2011

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 13:35:56 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net> wrote:
> There is a simple way to deal with all the list noise on pp124 & 125, as
> well as reduce the wasted time and energy of the ARIN staff while we are at
> it .... Transfer all remaining ARIN IPv4 resources in a split between Lacnic
> & Afrinic today, and move on. The useless efforts to micromanage the end of
> the pool are not doing anyone any good, and certainly not motivating the
> deployment of IPv6 as much as a solid 'sorry we have no more' answer from
> ARIN would.
>
> It is time to stop focusing on the past and just let it go.

Tony,

Noone disagrees with you. 124M addresses is not really crumbs either.
The cost of replacing that address space for the members is
half-billion dollars. Noone really knows what it is going to be
tomorrow. But more importantly, what 124 and 125 are saying is "yes",
get rid of it, but now we need to get everyone unified and moving to
v6 *fast* so that we can cut our expenses. Effectively, exact same
thing except not enriching parties unnecessarily.

Best,

-M<