[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 25 16:02:56 EST 2011

On Feb 26, 2011, at 4:47 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> What do you do then?  ARIN staff by now has determined the following:
>
> 1) The block is not used even in an unconnected network
> 2) The original holder is either ignorant of it's use and/or unable to
> use it, or is a proxy for the original holder.
> 3) Your not going to get permission, written or verbal, from anyone to take it back, based on them thinking that it might be worth something someday
> 4) The original holder doesn't give a damn what you mark for it in whois but is clearly never going to exert the effort to login to ARIN and modify the whois record.

Ted - you have multiple hypotheticals here, so it's hard to provide
a single answer. If the resource holder still exists then they can
prove it and then just keep using it and/or put the resource until
LRSA and make use of the specified transfer policy to monetize it.
If they aren't the resource holder, then the resource is likely
coming back so we can find the valid holder or reclaim the resource.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN