[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Feb 25 14:53:39 EST 2011

On 2/25/2011 11:45 AM, John Curran wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2011, at 3:37 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> ARIN cannot have it's cake and eat it too - if ARIN says
>> a resource is being used by an unrelated party, then section
>> 3.6.1 states "the POC record shall be marked invalid"
>
> Ted -  If we determined that the POC was illegitimate, then
> we would mark the POC appropriate.  This does not mandate a
> resource review per section NRPM 12, and a change to policy
> to mandate such would require discussing the level of staff
> resources we would need to dedicate to this effort.

Ah.  Let me ask then - if a legacy POC is determined to be
illegitimate and marked as such, then what is current ARIN
practice - do you attempt to contact any squatter, or do
you reclaim and reassign the resource, or do you simply do nothing?

>> It seems to me that if an unrelated party is using a legacy
>> resource that the first step of any legacy reclamation effort would
>> be to contact that party and tell them they must sign an RSA and
>> start paying the fees to continue using the numbers.
>

> We contact them and explain that they need to update the
> contact information on number resources accordingly, and
> if a different organization is involved, then must also
> initiate an appropriate transfer request.

But that assumes you can contact them, that the original entity
exists.  What if it does not?  Or what if you contact them and
they don't know who you are and what your talking about and
can't answer your questions?

Ted