[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-136 Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Feb 24 19:53:52 EST 2011

On 2/24/2011 3:16 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> False assumption #1: opting out of ARIN services means no Whois record.
> Fact: Some people are so stuck in the mindset that ARIN and only ARIN can offer a Whois service that they are missing the point of this proposal. Are you aware of the request by a prospective competitor for bulk access to Whois so that it can be reconciled with an alternate provider and maintain a globally consistent directory?

Please address the question I raised earlier today. Either ARIN is still
the registry of uniqueness for this block and this part of the globe and
will have a pointer to whatever whois provider there is, or ARIN is
*not* the registry of uniqueness for the block in which case they must
either be transferred to another RIR (which requires ICANN to do
something) or transferred nowhere (which doesn't seem feasible).

In the first of those three cases, one hasn't "opted-out" of anything.
ARIN is still the ICANN-recognized holder of the record of unique
registration, even if it is simply a pointer to a more-easily-changeable
thing. (Why ARIN would want to point to (or ARIN's members would want
ARIN to point to) something which could be changed outside of
community-developed policy, I don't know)

Matthew Kaufman