[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Feb 23 09:51:28 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Chris Grundemann
<cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 20:41, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually the opposite is true. Separating IPv4 address space along
>>> substantially arbitrary lines is likely to cause much more confusion
>>> than making clear policy that applies to all IPv4 addresses.
>>
>> You're both right, but in different contexts.
>> But here's the context: legacy addresses are an exception.

> There is no such thing as "legacy" addresses.

Chris,

I stand corrected. Marty had the right of it: you're denying the facts
on the ground.

It's not unreasonable to write policy which changes those facts but if
the changes are to be clear, they must reference the facts as they are
both before and after the change. The facts today are: there IS such a
thing as legacy addresses and they're presently immune to most
ARIN-region policy. Moreover, that policy rarely says so explicitly.
Hence policy which should impact legacy addresses will be more clearly
understood if it explicitly says so.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004