[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 23:01:01 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 20:41, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Chris Grundemann
> <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> merging legacy
>>> considerations with address space that is clearly controlled by ARIN
>>> is likely to result in confusion.
>>
>> Actually the opposite is true. Separating IPv4 address space along
>> substantially arbitrary lines is likely to cause much more confusion
>> than making clear policy that applies to all IPv4 addresses.
>
> You're both right, but in different contexts.
>
> Chris, a policy without a list of exceptions is clearer than a policy
> with exceptions. Calling out legacy addresses specifically makes them
> an exception.

This I agree with.

> But here's the context: legacy addresses are an exception. Even before
> a proposal author writes the first word, legacy addresses were an
> exception to ARIN's normal rules. So if he intends a policy to impact
> them, it is appropriate to call that out... lest folks (reasonably)
> assume that legacy addresses are an exception to his new policy as
> well.

This I do not. There is no such thing as "legacy" addresses. ARIN
policy covers all resources in this region, any exception that could
possibly be argued for is temporal. So, in the strongest case,
"legacy" is a historical status that can not be renewed (hence the
name, I guess).

Cheers,
~Chris

--