[arin-ppml] [Fwd: Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension]

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Tue Feb 22 10:19:17 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On Behalf Of Owen DeLong
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:58 AM
To: Joel Jaeggli
Cc: ARIN-PPML List
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] [Fwd: Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address
Extension]

What I expect will happen is that they will, instead, each seek large allocations from ARIN to
support their NAT444 intermediary addresses and get them under current policies, thus accelerating
IPv4 exhaustion.

[WEG] We're going around in circles again. If they were able to justify this allocation, they would
have already requested it (prior to IANA exhaust) in an effort to reduce or eliminate the need for
NAT in the first place. The problem is that we're trying to insulate against something that may or
may not happen based on expectation of future growth. Assuming that the same ISP already has enough
addresses for their current customers, it is perfectly legitimate to expect them to transition some
of those existing customers to CGN so that they have address space available for NAT pools, outside
AND inside.

Wes George