[arin-ppml] FW: Proposal: Clarification of draft policy 2009-3 (ARIN-prop-135)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Feb 19 20:51:22 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2011, at 9:11 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> So I'm still UNCLEAR what conflict arises if local policies and
>> strategies designate -nothing- for return.
>
>  If local policies specifically designate that nothing should
>  be returned under any circumstance, there is no confusion.
>  Given that the language is policies and strategies, and the
>  existing practice is to return space to the IANA, a policy
>  proposal which is not explicit in this area is indeed unclear.

John,

Then to clarify the staff guidance, staff would like prop 131 to
indicate whether or not it intends to specify what addresses should be
returned to IANA under pending global policy 2009-3 (yes) and if so,
what addresses those are (none). This has nothing to do with
preempting or not preempting global policy, something an ARIN-local
policy like 131 can't do anyway.

Yes?

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004