[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks - revised

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Feb 18 17:32:33 EST 2011

> Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 1:50 PM
> To: Jeffrey Lyon
> Cc: George Bonser; arin-ppml at arin.net
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on
Behalf
> of Unaffiliated Address Blocks - revised
>

> On Feb 18, 2011, at 10:58 AM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

> >> Sure... It's time to move. We cannot change the direction of the
> lava flow.
> >> It will destroy your house.
> >>
> >> If you don't move, the results are your responsibility.
> >>
> >> Owen
> >>

> > We'd be happy to, as soon as we gain universal vendor support. As
> i've
> > mentioned in NANOG, we're not going to flame specific vendors but
> more
> > often than not there are serious issues with native IPv6 adoption
(at
> > least at this point).
> >
> Those vendors are about to burn down your house. It's time they felt
> the heat. If you aren't getting a good story from them that includes a
> near-term delivery date, I say "flame on".

Chicken, meet egg.  Nobody is going to move until there is "universal
vendor support" and no vendor is going to support it until people move.

But is there any gear being sold today that doesn't support v6?  I know
two vendors that can't do dynamic routing protocols on v6 yet but their
gear is more aimed at the layer2 switching market anyway and do support
v6 switching, addressing, and static routes which probably covers the
vast majority of their use cases.  All of the stuff I have in the layer3
area of the network supports v6 and that is four different vendors.

At this stage finding vendors who don't support v6 is more difficult
than finding the ones that do.  The one problem area is xDSL CPE.
Everything else is pretty much there in one form or another and simply
takes more usage in order to shake the cobwebs out of it.