[arin-ppml] [Fwd: ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses - revised ver. 3] revised ver. 4

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Feb 17 14:49:10 EST 2011

In a message written on Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:06:11AM -0500, ARIN wrote:
> In the absence of an ICANN ratified Global Policy indicating otherwise,
> legacy IPv4 addresses returned to or recovered by ARIN will be
> specifically designated and permanently made available for registration
> and distribution in the ARIN region.

I think if a legacy holder returns a block it should be passed back
to ICANN.  It came from a global pool, it should go back to a global
pool.  However, I realize I am in the minority with that believe.

As written the policy is full of wording issues.  "Legacy IPv4"
isn't precisely defined anywhere, "permanently made available" is
very poor wording as Owen pointed out, etc.  If folks really want
to do this, it can be done so much simpler and easier, and doesn't
need to be Legacy specific.  To wit:

  All number resources returned to ARIN will be added to ARIN's
  available number resources for allocation in the ARIN region,
  except where otherwise directed by global policy.

The point is, you want to clarify we treat legacy addresses the
same way non-legacy addresses are treated.  The way to do that is
not to have two separate policy sections with different wording,
but to actually roll them all up through the same policy.

Note, I have not looked to see if this needs to replace some paragraph
about returned non-legacy resources, or if it just needs to be
inserted.  Someone should check that if they want to use text similar
to what I wrote above.  Maybe this needs a qualifier of "after a
waiting period" since ARIN historically holds them for a bit so
they time out of RBL's and the like.