[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] [Fwd: ARIN-prop-133: No Volunteer Services on Behalf of Unaffiliated Address Blocks]

Eric Westbrook arin-ppml at westbrook.com
Wed Feb 16 01:21:59 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 22:36, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> > If the effort is to entice legacy space holders into joining ARIN, don't
> > try to penalize them.  Give them a positive incentive.
>
> I don't see this proposal as involving any penalties. Indeed, it is the
> absence of this kind of thinking that consistently leads to proposals to
> force legacy holders into the ARIN regime. The (implied) incentive in 133 is
> that legacy holders can go to other service providers - assuming of course,
> that we retain a consistent and integrated whois that works across multiple
> service providers.

Nothing's broken today with respect to the services in question.  I can only
envision additional costs, rigmarole, and coordination issues to come with a
multiple-provider regime.

Perhaps what's broken is that legacy holders like me don't pay -- at least,
that seems to be the source of some significant outrage here.
Unfortunately, the LRSA is a non-starter (to me and others I know) because
of potential dilution of rights to the resource, as I've articulated
before.  Barring a change to that, and with no other way in, we're stuck.
Were that different, I for one would cheerfully sign, pay, and enjoy more
formal participation.  All I can do today is cooperate by keeping my
information current.

Carrots and sticks are uncompelling to the legacy holder.

$0.02,
Eric