[arin-ppml] Use of the specified transfer policy (was: "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Feb 8 12:28:53 EST 2011

On Feb 8, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>> Litigation is common in the United States, indeed.
>
> But as a membership organization, shouldn't we endeavor to avoid
> litigation, both for the organization and for the members?

Absolutely. Ultimately the Board determines the appropriate balance
in these matters for the organization. I do not see any unusual risk
related to ARIN managing the database in accordance with community
developed policies, including with respect to the entries for legacy
resources.  We absolutely need to treat legacy address holders (just
as all address holders) with respect, provide open participation in
the policy development process, and provide an opportunity for them
to enter a contractual relationship similar to that of other members.

> We are pooling our resources to manage addresses and that entails pooling
> risk. A vibrant transfer market requires trust. Providing a mechanism
> to instill trust in the transactions would seem to be key. The LRSA
> does not instill trust.

To the extent that we can build consensus support for changes to the
LRSA to improve trust, that is definitely worth discussing (e.g. at
the upcoming San Juan meeting).

Thanks!
/John

John Curran