[arin-ppml] "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers (was: Re: And so it ends... )

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Feb 6 20:36:45 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Jack Bates <jbates at brightok.net> wrote:
>> One of the stated goals of ARIN is to protect routing tables from bloat,
>> which is reflected in the minimum requirements to receive an allocation.
>> This doesn't, in practice, actually protect the tables, as there are many
>> who deaggregate their allocations, but that is beyond the control of ARIN.
>
> I think that network operators are better suited to manage this as
> part of a market activity than a "regulation" devised by ARIN.
> Historically, "regulation" of routing has been considered operational
> and ARIN policy in this area is generally ignored.

Yet representatives of the largest ISPs stood opposed to every
reduction of the minimum allocation since /19. Solely because of
routing bloat, or at least that's what was said. Historically
speaking.

The network operators only want ARIN out of routing when it's
convenient. They don't want to be the ones responsible for keeping the
small fish out of the BGP table so that the process remains viable.
Even today, network operators' only tools for managing BGP bloat are:
the /24 barrier and RIR policy. And the /24 barrier is both harmful to
address scarcity and of very limited utility in controlling bloat.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004