[arin-ppml] Implementation of NRPM 8.3

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 00:34:44 EST 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/2011 2:35 PM, John Curran wrote:
>>> On Apr 22, 2011, at 4:49 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

[ clip ]

>> If the RIR system did get pushed into the treaty mechanism at some
>> future date, ARIN would be in a lot stronger position because of these
>> actions.
>>
> Which, frankly, I think is part of the reason for joining ITU.
>
> I remember in KL spending some time talking to the ITU representative
> and explaining to her that the problem most of us have with the ITU is not
> that they are open to the participation of governments, but, the fact that they
> are not so open to the participation of everyone who is not a government.

Considering that our governments represent us, in most cases, I don't
see how this is a valid argument. The ITU is a classic example of an
easy bogeyman. To date, no one has really explained exactly what is
wrong with the ITU being involved in numbering other than labeling
them as a sort of cult.

I honestly have no idea what to think or believe either way.

Best,

-M<