[arin-ppml] Borders sells their /16 block

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 17:22:02 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Benson Schliesser <bensons at queuefull.net> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2011, at 9:27 AM, Chris Engel wrote:
>
>>> Full sentence:
>>> "While the Debtors believe that this Court has the authority to authorize
>>> the sale of the Internet Addresses over any such objection by ARIN, the
>>> IA Sale contains a condition of ARIN's consent and the proposed order
>>> incorporates various protections of ARIN's rights, which moots any need
>>> to consider any of these issues."
>>
>> Sounds like pretty reasonable wording to me. In the first part they don't concede anything, just in case something bizarre happened where they did want to try to proceed without ARIN.  In the second they avoid all that mess by opting to make sure they get ARIN's approval for the transaction regardless (which is pretty sensible in preserving the value of the assets).  If they didn't put in the "While the Debtors believe..." part it'd probably be alot tougher for them to try to make a case to proceed without ARIN, IF they felt they needed to do so for some reason. By putting that in, it simply looks like their trying to preserve their options.

I was just thinking and in this context it was about how to additional
monetize IPv4 assets. At this point I'd be looking at _all_ bankruptcy
proceedings to make sure that nothing has been lost in "registration"
and insuring that parties knew about lost v4 assets and perhaps
conducting business on a finders fee basis. It sort of dawned on me
that this would apply to non-legacy space for transfer as well,
wouldn't it? I mean, if you can sell legacy assets without
interference from ARIN for the most part, can't you also transfer
non-legacy assets without too much interference from ARIN? While there
is an agreement (and I'll sign up for your IANAL disclaimer as well
and I hope other non lawyers may too), but there seems to be a
distinct possibility that this has far more implications than just
legacy addresses, at least in bankruptcy.

Best,

-M<