[arin-ppml] [arin-council] Submitted to ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Aug 19 15:52:59 EDT 2011

> an alternative of course beyond fib compression by policy, is buying new linecards or routers, which does happen...
>
> Not to many AS border routers are limited to 255k routes anymore, we've had and have surmounted this problem many times before, and so long as it doesn't happen too quickly planned obsolecence takes it's course. if you fit a line to the cidr (reports) in 2007/2008 you'll be buying new routers in 2012/2013.

Does anyone honestly believe that 8.3 will not lead to accelerated prefix lengthening?

When you take the central registry out of the reclaim/reissue process you virtually eliminate
all likelihood of any form of returned-block coalescence which was a relatively low probability
even with everything going through a centralized process.

When you combine this with the fact that the intent of the single-aggregate language has
been superseded by legal interpretation (legitimately, the phrase was poorly written) and
there is now pressure to simply eliminate the language instead of restoring it's intent, I
believe that things are only going to get worse.

Owen