[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-2 (Was: Forcing POCs and other contacts to act through a "blacklist")

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Apr 30 22:47:18 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Scott Leibrand
<scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2011, at 7:58 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
>
>> I drafted a proposal which has morphed into 2011-2.  This is a prime
>> example of something I hope ARIN staff would do should it pass.  One
>> would think some of the low hanging fruit of "proactively looking" would
>> be to review lists others have already assembled.
>> So, please support 2011-2.
>
> As announced on April 18th, the AC voted to abandon draft policy
> ARIN-2011-2 at our April meeting in San Juan.

Leo,

Personally, my opposition to 2011-2 was that "proactively looking" was
too open-ended. I don't want ARIN proactively going after legacy
registrants looking for reasons to separate them from their IP
addresses.

I could get behind a softened proposal compelling ARIN to act on
externally reported and well documented lists such as
http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop.lasso with an expectation that
hijack + inability to reach a registrant who asserts legitimacy with a
reasonable probability of truth = revocation.

In other words: ARIN shouldn't go looking for trouble, but when
trouble lands on its doorstep it might be nice if they had better
policy tools to deal with it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004