[arin-ppml] Microsoft receives court approval for transfer asagreed with ARIN

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Apr 30 15:27:04 EDT 2011

In the "Be careful what you wish for" category...

In message <BANLkTinPFQP6PnLB-usBJX6sXZjpv=OzQw at mail.gmail.com>,
Jeffrey Lyon <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:

>- Would resource holders support a model that allowed ARIN to take a
>small commission on resource sales and then discontinue the practice
>of charging an annual fee to its members who are not buying and
>selling resources.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that you had intended to
say "sales tax" rather than "commission".

The word "commission" usualy implies a significantly active role in
mating willing sellers with willing buyers.

I rather doubt that anyone would like to see ARIN become like a Real
Estate Agency.  Some, including myself, would probably not mind however
if ARIN were to evolve into a sort-of "market maker"... *not* in the
Goldman Sachs model (i.e. where they may sometimes be covertly taking
a position adverse to those of their own clients) but rather more along
the lines of the NYSE or CBO.

Regards,
rfg