[arin-ppml] New Entrants shut out? (Was: ARIN-2011-5: ... - Last Call

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 12:36:05 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Jeffrey Lyon
<jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> You have to be willing to agree that free markets are more efficient
>>> than planned economies to find my argument compelling. In a free

That is great for economies.   But efficient IP addressing is not about
creating an economy or a market or distributing IP addresses to the
most profitable endeavors.

Economies/Markets measure a different kind of efficiency than
value to the community.

> respect. Additionally, if speculators drive up prices this will
> encourage more supply to enter the market (resource holders seeing an
> opportunity to take profit) which will drive the price back down
> (hence my argument that the effect of speculation is temporary).

"Temporarily" speculatively high prices is the opposite of efficient use of IP
addresses. In addition, this creates instability in the availability
of IP addresses.

And potentially, instability of the internet, when providers are encouraged to
turn off services, because it's more lucrative to sell the IPs than
continue their service.

It would be small comfort than "on average"   (after a sufficient
number of decades),
the pricing of IP addresses will be economically efficient.

> Granting the assumption that not everyone on PPML subscribes to
> laissez faire principles, some items for the community to consider:

Laissez faire principals have their place.
Laissez faire principals do not have adequate answers
for efficient distribution of IP addresse

> - Should ARIN reserve a pool for non-commercial entities (non-profits,
> education, etc)

The existence of a need for such a thing would be proof that Laissez faire
principals  don't  work;  since  "reserving addresses"  to not apply the
principals to -- is basically admission those principals are only good
for some portion of the community,  and they are at expense of others.

If  non-profits have problems getting IP addresses, and profits don't have
problems, for financial reasons or otherwise,   then, due to that poor outcome,
it would mean that inappropriate choice of policy deesign principals
had been applied....

--
-JH