[arin-ppml] Internet 101: Collaboration (was -Microsoft receives court approval for transfer as agreed with ARIN)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Fri Apr 29 23:49:10 EDT 2011

> John Curran wrote:
> Not my goal at all...  How about encouraging that participation
> now (as Owen suggested) to set policies that they actually like?

I am not a legacy holder myself but I do know a small number of
customers and/or acquaintances who are. Here's what I hear (about the
current LRSA).

Complain #1: the maintenance fee. I was surprised, but this hit a nerve.
These days, people are solicited right and left and slapped without
warnings with fees, taxes, surcharges and other stuff that they did not
expect.

I have to say that on a personal basis, I am quite tired of this myself.
Have you looked at your phone bill lately, or traveled overseas? I will
spare the mailing list the long litany of crude and visual comments I
have got over this, but one thing is absolutely clear to me: if we want
the legacy holders to become part of the system and sign a revised LRSA
in large numbers, forget about the fee. It is not about the amount
(which, realistically, is actually reasonable) it's about the gut
reaction about a new recurring fee.

Depending on the feedback I get on this, I will post more bad news.

Michel.