[arin-ppml] New Entrants shut out? (Was: ARIN-2011-5: ... - Last Call

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:13:40 EDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 4:05 PM, Jeffrey Lyon <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net>
wrote:

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:

On 4/29/11 12:48 CDT, Ray Hunter wrote:

Meanwhile new entrants to the ISP market are effectively shut out, due

to the "last /8" allocation policy for IPv4 addresses coming into effect

in the ARIN region.

<snip>

The shortage of IPv4 is going to "shut out" new ISP entrants post-RIR

runout, until IPv6 gets good penetration.  This is unavoidable.  It is

also going to "shut out" new customers, too.

<snip>

In the meantime, during the time period that IPv4 is "out" yet IPv4

still remains the dominant method of connection to the Internet, then

yes, new ISP entrants will be "shut out"  This will not last - but

wanna-be ISPs should probably shelve their business plans for another

decade and go find something else to do until the issue sorts itself out.

This is true, unless we embrace a free market.

What aspects of existing ARIN policy (transfer or otherwise)
disproportionately affect new entrants?  What part of the existing transfer
market is not free enough to allow new ISPs to acquire the addresses space
they need to compete effectively?

If we can identify specific areas of concern, we may be able to create
policy proposals to address them.

Thanks,
Scott