[arin-ppml] Statistics regarding NRPM 8.3 Transfers to date

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 17:01:56 EDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 1:55 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>> Org A transfers part of their allocation/assignment to Org B.
>
> Note that space in a transfer could easily be only part of an
> original allocation, and still be the smallest block possible
> to transfer... i.e. I'm not certain how this metric is useful,
> but will endeavor to research and deliver this information.

Yeah, we anticipated that would occur (and IMO it's perfectly normal
and acceptable) when we drafted the original transfer policy.  I'm
mostly just curious to what degree transfers are just rearranging
existing blocks, and to what degree existing blocks are being
fragmented to meet the needs of the recipients.  If you'd have to go
do a bunch of work to figure this out, don't bother.  :-)

>> Org C receives multiple CIDR blocks (or continuous address
>> ranges) from whatever source(s).
>
> The 10 recipient organizations received a total of 18 contiguous
> IPv4 address blocks; several of those recipients received blocks
> which were composed of adjacent /24's.

Very helpful, thanks.  I hope we'll continue to see such information
published periodically as additional transfer activity occurs.

-Scott