[arin-ppml] Do we have a fundamental conflict in the regionalgoalsfor number resource management?

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Fri Apr 29 12:53:13 EDT 2011

>Are you trying to say that a solution which meets
>consistent administration but ignores the other goals is best
>in your view?

Well, consistent administration is a must, wouldn't you say?

As for the other goals, conservation will be maintained by price, and what
does conservation even mean in a post-exhaust world? What is there to
conserve?

And aggregation is an issue best left to network operators who decide how
small a block they will advertise.
Eventually they will make the cost/benefit analysis based on their routing
table costs. Honestly, in a world where technological advance happens
geometrically (Moore's Law), I think the router manufacturers should be able
to deal with data that grows merely linearly, like the BGP table, but I am
not an expert in this area.

I am not precluding an ARIN role in offering aggregation services to those
listing addresses on STLS for example.
Addresses are fungible, and I suppose if ARIN develops as a registry for an
open market, that opportunities will arise for ARIN to make aggregations
which would inure to the benefits of both buyers and sellers, and would be
voluntarily accepted by both, but who knows? Possibly there will be a role
in an ip market for an aggregation entity, possibly the pricing for
aggregated and de-aggregated addresses will provide an impetus towards
aggregation.

In any case, I don't see where the Microsoft deal, for example provided any
aggregation benefit, despite the needs analysis required.

I apologize for being tiresome by repeating the benefits I see, but this is
a policy development forum and nobody has stepped forward to counter my
perception of those benefits, so I kept putting them out there looking for
some feedback to the contrary.