[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 70, Issue 141

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Apr 29 12:00:16 EDT 2011

On Apr 29, 2011, at 11:49 AM, Mike Burns wrote:

> I leave it to the community to decide whether a needs requirement policy which:
>
> 1 can be manipulated in a way that is "not very difficult"
> 2.has the effect of disincentivizing LRSAs
> 3 contributes to the lack of valid whois data
> 4.artificially restricts supply of address space
> 5.puts us out of coformance with the region closest to terminal exhaust (APNIC)
> 6 puts us out of coformance with established law regarding legacy transfers which do not require need

I'd ask the same question of the community, but perhaps phrased
differently due to perspective on several of your bullets above:

 - Is maintaining the needs-based requirement for the specified
   transfer policy worthwhile, recognizing that while it does
   support the community goals, it also is likely to encourage
   some to go outside the system, and does not align well with the
   practices of the region closest to terminal exhaust (APNIC)?

Still an worthwhile question to ask...
/John

John Curran
President and CEO