[arin-ppml] Staff proposing policy.

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Apr 29 01:48:47 EDT 2011

On 28-Apr-11 13:47, John Curran wrote:
> On Apr 28, 2011, at 2:35 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote
>> On Apr 28, 2011, at 11:10 AM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
>>> Let me offer a middle ground.  If we don't want staff making a policy proposal directly, could we at least get staff directly involved in having conversations about policy on PPML?  Do we really have to wait for a twice a year report to learn from their experiences?
>> +1
> To be clear, is this a suggest for staff to provide more realtime input with respect solely to implementation issues with existing and proposed policies, or also with respect to policy intention and goals?
>
> e.g.  "If 20xx-n had its second sentence reworded to match the existing
>        critical infrastructure definition, that would the clearer"
>
> or also "If 20xx-n included World of Warcraft servers in the definition of
>          critical infrastructure, that might better serve the community..
>          (and certainly would make some of us happy)"

IMHO, staff should be free to /ask /the community (via PPML or any other
appropriate means) about our intent and goals, but I'm not comfortable
with staff /telling/ us what our intent or goals /should/ be.

Staff should also be free to point out when current or proposed policy
does not appear to meet our intent or goals, as discovered above, or
hard facts that are relevant to ongoing discussions.  And, when one
points out a problem, it's polite to also offer one or more possible
solutions.

One has to balance concerns about staff having undue influence over
policy with concerns about staff silently watching the community make
bad policy.