[arin-ppml] Staff proposing policy.

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 28 14:54:35 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
> In a message written on Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:46:09AM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
>> You've identified a real problem, but bear in mind that staff is
>> prevented from proposing policy for good reason: such participation
>> would inevitably drive the policymaking process further from the hands
>> of the public they serve. The eventual destination is an FCC-like
>
> I believe all four other RIR's have staff dedicated to participating
> in the policy development process.  I find it hard to accept arguments
> that such participation drives the policy process further from the
> hands of the public given the track record of those four RIR's.

Hi Leo,

Greater participation that stops short of staff proposing or
championing policy could potentially be a good thing. However, even
that risks a greater descent into legalese that forms a "barrier to
entry" for members of the public who want to get involved. Read a
federal regulation recently? Our "allocate" and "assign" confusion is
bad enough.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004