[arin-ppml] Follow-up on Petition of ARIN-prop-134 and -136

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 27 19:33:23 EDT 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 6:39 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:
> I'd like to thank the AC and ARIN staff for their assistance with my recent petitions for ARIN-prop-134 and ARIN-prop-136.  However, I have a concern and question about the petition procedure.
>
> It is my belief that a significant number of statements were not counted in these petitions.  I'm referring specifically to statements from individuals that are not subscribed to PPML.  My understanding is that these statements were sent to the mailing list alias but not forwarded to the list subscribers.  As a result of this feature, I suspect that they were not counted.

Benson -

  As a result of not following the petition process, they
  were not counted.

> Is there an "unwritten rule" that disenfranchises non-subscribers, or anybody (except the AC), from the petition process?

>From <https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp_petitions.html>:

 "Petitions take place on the PPML; those who wish to
  start a petition and/or participate in petitions must
  be subscribed to the list."  It's already been noted
  that subscribing is near instantaneous and open to all.

  Since petitions are against specific AC actions, it
  would best for petitioners to follow the discussion
  on PPML so that they can make an informed decision
  on such actions before petitioning.  Email addresses
  are relatively easy to create, and while we have never
  had problems with aliases being used to get a petition
  through, it's the little details like being subscribed
  to PPML that help insure that we are actually counting
  members of the community.

Best,
/John

John Curran