[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-3: Better IPv6 Allocations for ISPs - Last Call

Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com
Tue Apr 26 09:44:45 EDT 2011

<inline>

>> On Apr 19, 2011, at 12:49 PM, George, Wes E IV [NTK] wrote:
>> I do not believe that this is ready for last call. Given the complexity
of this policy, the significant amount of areas of NRPM that
>> it is changing, and the fact that the text discussed in PR was not
really the text that is being proposed in this last call version
>> (there were significant changes), not to mention the lack of consensus
that we should eliminate H-D ratio, I think that this needs
>> to come before membership and be discussed in its current (final?) form
at the next meeting.

>> Wes George

> There were two people who spoke in opposition to eliminating HD ratio,
IIRC. OTOH, the number
> of people speaking in favor of doing so was much larger.
>
> As to the changes, while there are several changes, none of them changes
the general intent
> of the policy and all of them incorporate fine tuning requested on the
list or at the PR meeting,
> so, each and every one of them was discussed in PR.
>
> Finally, while there was not overwhelming support for the text discussed
in San Juan, there
> was overwhelming support for the general intent of the proposal
expressed in the show of hands.
> It is unfortunate that we did not get a show of hands for the number of
people who would support
> the proposal with the errata discussed in the meeting corrected.
>
> A number of the people who voted no in the room approached me at the
break stating that
> they could not support it as written because they believed that the
errata corrections were
> necessary, but, that they did want to see this implemented as soon as
possible.

> Owen

I'd like to second this and show support for an early adoption of 2011-3.

The HD-ratio has it's usefulness, but at this time it hinders IPv6
deployment IMHO, especially
for early adopters who already have a /32 and can't show sufficient
density of assignments
in their current deployment.

/JF