[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 25 07:55:12 EDT 2011

On Apr 25, 2011, at 3:09 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Scott Leibrand
> <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok.  So it sounds like you'd like to modify ARIN-2011-5 to add
>> language stating that, for purposes of NAT pools and internal
>> management, globally unique addressing would no longer be justified
>> unless there was a compelling technical reason this /10 couldn't be
>> used instead?
>>
>> Do you have any language suggestions?  (If not, I and probably a
>> number of others would be happy to help draft something if people feel
>> it's needed...)
>
> "A requirement for IPv4 addresses used solely inside a single
> autonomous system shall not qualify an organization to receive or
> retain an IPv4 address assignment or allocation."

If placed into the NRPM as 4.1.9, this would appear to do the intended
task. Remember this provision would also preclude transfers for the same
purpose (due to the reference in NRPM 8.3 to back to allocation policy),
and depending on one's perspective, that would either be fine or to be
explicitly exempted with additional language.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO