[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - Last Call

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 20:40:38 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 19:55, Chris Donley <C.Donley at cablelabs.com> wrote:
> The draft actually *DID* get wg approval in OPSAWG in Beijing.  However, our only hope of adoption in advance of IANA exhaustion was to have the draft proceed as an AD-sponsored draft, and we were told to present in v6ops, as well.  We did not have enough support in v6ops for AD sponsorship (v6ops minutes show no consensus on the draft, either in favor or opposed), so we let the draft idle, as we were out of time.  I still believe that this draft policy will result in a more efficient allocation of the remaining IPv4 address space than individual allocations for NAT444 space, and while it would be nice if we were able to get IANA to allocate space for the entire world, there is sufficient justification among North American ISPs that it makes sense for ARIN to reserve the addresses.

I believe there was a general expectation during the previous discussions
regarding this proposal that the ARIN reservation would de facto end up
being used for the entire world as needed.  And the need is real.  And
we need to move quickly, or as with IETF/IANA, watch the time run out.

I support this policy being adopted.

Gary