[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-6: Returned IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:14:05 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Rudolph Daniel <rudi.daniel at gmail.com>wrote:

> I do not understand how 2011-6 contravenes ICP2.

What don't you understand?

> Earlier I noticed that there was a stated 1 month now replaced by "as soon
> as practicable" ...the fact that no global policy currently exists, would it
> not be better to go back to a stated time limit? If 1 month seems
> unreasonable then why not (say) 3 months?

I think that there's a better way to state it. "IPv4 addresses returned to
ARIN will be immediately returned to the free pool for allocation or
assignment while awaiting for the completion of any relative administrative
procedure."

The problem with leaving this open ended or with an assigned time is that if
by some chance there is a global policy, the intent was to make sure that
there was no confusion on the state of returned addresses. For example, if
someone did by chance return a /8 and in 2.5 months a global policy after
the return that policy was adopted, the status of the returned /8 would then
be "open for interpretation". Stating a time frame in the manner that it has
been stated degrades the predictability of the proposal.

Best,

-M<