[arin-ppml] [arin-council] AC Role in Petitions

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Apr 19 01:42:26 EDT 2011

On Apr 18, 2011, at 7:39 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>>> Why does that not surprise me? Arin-discuss is a closed list,
>>> membership only. Not public.
>>>
>>> Sorry, that was a low blow. I realize you honestly forgot. Again.
>>
>> While ARIN-DISCUSS is limited to members only, since membership is open to
>> anyone, calling it a closed list is not an entirely accurate statement.
>
> https://www.arin.net/cgi-bin/cc/credit_card.cgi?form=MEMBERSHIP
>
> "Membership in ARIN is open to any organization that has a signed
> Registration Services Agreement or Legacy Registration Services
> Agreement with ARIN and holds Internet number resources from ARIN.
> Interested organizations **** that meet the eligibility requirements
> defined above **** are welcome to become General Members by completing
> the form below and paying the $500 annual membership fee."
>
> Perhaps you forgot that ARIN membership was locked down a year or two
> ago. It's no longer possible to be a member simply by paying $500.

Hmmm... I remembered there being a change, but, I had a different
understanding of the change. I will review the actual bylaws to see
whether it is the page you refer to or my understanding which is in
error.

My understanding was that membership was still open to anyone
(and thus participation on arin-discuss), but, that voting rights were only
available to members who also had resources covered by an
RSA or LRSA.

A review of the current bylaws reveals that my understanding was,
indeed, flawed and that membership is no longer completely open.
I will endeavor to discuss with the board the possibility of opening
membership back up to the larger community.

> Even if anybody could still be a member (which they can't), it is
> entirely accurate to say that a list with a $500 entrance fee is a
> closed list.

I suppose we can agree to disagree on this.

For one thing, to the best of my knowledge, there is no limit to the
number of people that can subscribe and post to arin-discuss from
a given organization.

Finally, this still continues to ignore the fact that I stated (twice
and this now makes three times) that I think it is fine to discuss
such things on PPML. My statement was not intended to preclude
doing so. My statement was merely that discussing them elsewhere
off of PPML also is not necessarily a bad thing.

Owen