[arin-ppml] Petition for Discussion of ARIN-prop-136

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 18 21:04:23 EDT 2011

On Apr 18, 2011, at 5:37 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> Hi, Bill.
>
> On Apr 14, 2011, at 2:22 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>
>>> ARIN-prop-136: Services Opt-out Allowed for Unaffiliated Address Blocks
>>> Proposal Originator:  Benson Schliesser
>> I would like to see more care given to the technical details of how
>> such a thing would be accomplished before throwing around policy text.
>> Are we talking about managing RDNS the way ICANN handles the .com and
>> .net zones?  There are implications here whose evaluation does not
>> appear within the proposal text.
>
> This is a fair comment.  But I would suggest that an alternative structure doesn't exist because it hasn't been allowed to develop.  We are in a catch-22 situation if we follow this logic: without an opt-out policy we have no alternative management regime, yet without an alternative management regime we cannot accept an opt-out policy.

A global proposal could be floated to develop whatever alternative management scheme you want and have
it accepted by IANA as a result of getting the identical propsal passed in each of the 5 RIRs policy process.

Attempting to make such a global change by a unilateral policy of a single RIR is problematic.

Owen