[arin-ppml] Portability of demand (was: APNIC out of v4)

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 23:12:02 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Jeffrey Lyon
> <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:
>> This is basically correct. The company should be required to have
>> operations in ARIN's region and, if applicable, have requested prior
>> resources in the same manner. NTT would meet this test.
>
> So...a company that currently only operates in the APNIC
> region, but is working on an expansion into the ARIN region
> would need to build out their operational network into the
> ARIN region _first_, then apply for address space from ARIN
> for the network, then renumber off the RFC1918 addresses
> to the real address using the address block they couldn't
> obtain until they first built the network and rendered it
> operational?
>
> Or are we allowing for bootstrapping of efforts where a
> company does not yet operate services in the region,
> but needs the resource in order to build into the region
> and begin offering those services?

One can announce APNIC delegated addresses in North America.  The
reverse - ARIN or legacy addresses announced outside the US - is
widely followed.

Bootstrapping is that you take your existing block,
multi-geographically-home, and then do what you need from there.  One
doesn't need legalistic or IP space request games to accomplish that.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com