[arin-ppml] DRAFT POLICY ARIN-2011-1: GLOBALLY COORDINATEDTRANSFER POLICY (Legecy space)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 14 09:37:55 EDT 2011

> On Apr 14, 2011, at 1:00 AM, Warren Johnson wrote:

Warren -

   You more likely mean something like "how the NSF-funded InterNIC services
   for DNS registration evolved into the commercial services of NSI and then
   an array of competitive DNS registration services?"  There's a number of
   books out there that discuss those events, so I won't rehash it here, but
   suffice to say that it involved via significant community meetings and
   discussion of numerous proposals on how to best evolve the existing system.

   Without a set of goals which explain why to change, and plan regarding how
   to change, you risk significant disruption to the stability of the existing
   system.  Hence, my reiteration that there is global policy which describes
   the current system (ICP-2) and that if there truly is a reason to change
   the system, then the discussion should start with some proposals to change
   that global policy.

FYI,
/John

John Curran