[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without networkservice

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Apr 12 21:51:45 EDT 2011

On 4/12/2011 5:28 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>
>> Ok. How about:
>>
>> 8) I sell you a "network service" which lets you access a few servers I run in public address space that you can store backups on. I let you use a /20 of my space at your end to access those servers, but I don't have a circuit or tunnel to you... you just use IP routing to reach them. Since I don't provide you with a circuit, I give you an LOA so you can use this space with some other transit provider.
>>
> I tend to doubt it. That's not "network service", that's "service over a network". Certainly the intent of the policy is to preclude
> such a workaround.

So you're telling me that a layer 3-in-layer 3 tunnel is an acceptable
workaround but layer 3-not-in-a-tunnel isn't?

If the former is acceptable, then I'm not sure why we're splitting hairs
this way. If the former *isn't* acceptable then I have a different
slippery slope I can introduce you to. Either way, I don't think ARIN
can (or should) enforce how I put my addresses to use, *especially* if
I'm actually putting them to use in a needs-based way.

Matthew Kaufman