[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without network service

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Apr 8 19:27:35 EDT 2011

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I disagree with you about the problems RIPE has experienced and I also
> don't feel that this measure is draconian at all. It merely requires
> that LIRs in the ARIN region be providing network services to the
> customers that they also provide address resources to.

I probably would have been all for this had it been introduced at least
several years ago, since it's simply a clarification of what I've always
assumed were the rules.  At this point, with ARIN being so close to out of
IPv4 space to hand out, it seems much like closing the doors on an empty
barn.

And what would become of all the orgs currently using "LIR-assigned" IP
space with which they're not buying connectivity from that LIR?

How is "network services" to be defined?  We have a customer who was a
multi-T1 customer for a number of years.  We've pulled out of their
market, and rather than renumber themselves and all their customers, they
chose to get alternate connectivity and VPN all their traffic through a
router they sent to our data center, thus continuing to use the IP space
we assigned to them back when they were a T1 customer.  Are they our
connectivity customer now?

Since very soon, most orgs will not be able to get more IPv4 from ARIN, if
this policy were approved, what would ARIN's recourse be if it somehow
came to their attention that a member/LIR was violating 2.4?