[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without networkservice

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:25:03 EDT 2011

Forgive me if this sounds dense, as I've been staring at
fluorine-based rocket propellant reactions all day and not doing
networking, but...

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
> Ok. How about:
>
> 8) I sell you a "network service" which lets you access a few servers I run
> in public address space that you can store backups on. I let you use a /20
> of my space at your end to access those servers, but I don't have a circuit
> or tunnel to you... you just use IP routing to reach them. Since I don't
> provide you with a circuit, I give you an LOA so you can use this space with
> some other transit provider.
>
>> Of course in each of the situations above, we are presuming that your
>> customer can justify
>> the need for addresses contained in said /20 (4096 IP addresses).
>
> Yes, of course. They have 3000 desktop machines that they back up every day,
> for the purpose of this discussion.

Service provider A provides customized backups service to end user C.
A provides C some dedicated IPs for the backup service to use, as part
of the backup service, organized into a /20.

You seem to have the actual servers at A's location.

Why would C need to or want to advertise the /20 ? -  It's using it to
get from itself to A, across public internet links.  The servers are
not at C's premise...

If I'm just missing something in the scenario, please point it out...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com