[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without network service

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 8 15:52:19 EDT 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 12:44 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> think this kind of temporary accommodation would go unnoticed by policy.
>
> But the new language makes it potentially less allowed.

I don't think it does, actually.

>> Policy primarily affects how you are reviewed when seeking additional space.
>>

> As I pointed out off-list then this policy is irrelevant, as either it is for IPv4 space (which ARIN soon won't be able to give you anyway) or IPv6 space (which ARIN gave you enough of the first time that you don't need more)

As I refuted your off-list statement:

For IPv4, it may or may not be relevant, depending on what happens after
people begin deprecating IPv4 and depending on how the IPv4 end-game
plays out in the ARIN free pool.

For IPv6, it is relevant because while policy is primarily considered when
you are reviewed while seeking additional space (which will happen for
many ISPs in IPv6, frankly), it is also considered when ARIN becomes aware
of potential policy violations or abuse through other mechanisms. NRPM 12
facilitates this.

>> When you allocated the space, you were providing network services to the
>> customer. The fact that they are in the process of leaving your service does
>> not change that fact for the time of allocation.
>
> Ok, so I throw up a tunnel for an hour and then they can take it wherever they want?

Do we really need to engage in reductio ad absurdum?

>> I think ARIN would not
>> interpret the policy so narrowly as to preclude you from allowing some time
>> before reclaiming the addresses.
>
> Maybe the policy should be written so that it isn't so open to interpretation.

What do you suggest?

Owen