[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-139 No reassignment without network service

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri Apr 8 12:51:21 EDT 2011

On 4/8/2011 12:29 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Do you lease space to providers that couldn't qualify for a /24?

Of course not, you can't announce it yourself or get it announced by
your upstream provider (in my experience) so there is very little value
in allocating blocks smaller than /24.
> If so, then, perhaps you are doing something for providers that don't have
> the option of getting portable space from ARIN.
>
> However, it's hard to imagine running a multi-homed ISP with less
> than a /24 to begin with. Heck, it's hard to imagine where they would
> get their smaller allocation routed.
>
> Yes, there was a time when ARIN policy didn't cover such smaller
> ISPs. Policy has changed since then and your use case is no longer
> necessary.

I'll humbly say that you're probably not speaking from actual
experience.  I work with rural ISPs every day of the week and our main
customer for this kind of service is NOT multi-homed at all and would
NOT qualify under the normal rules but does want portable address
space.  I am quite aware of the rule that allowed a /20 to be allocated
if the ISP was able to announce via two separate ASNs and where we could
we helped ISPs do just that.  In addition to the actual justification
and potential technical challenges to getting space the normal way a
large percentage of small providers also have problems just completing
the forms and handling the communication with ARIN.

Finally, what if anything do you see that we have done improperly in
your opinion?  I am providing a very real and documented (I can provide
the exact block delegations if you really want to see them) benefit to
smaller providers.  You're holding up a problem that occurred in a
different RIR which hasn't been documented in the ARIN region and is
arguably already covered by existing rules.